Bright Yellow Hard Boiled Eggs

Do you ever get those nasty gray/greenish hard-boiled eggs? How do you get them to be the vibrant yellow that you want. Nobody wants a gray egg salad sandwich and we certainly don't want to present that.

Okay so this may sound nerdy but it is one of the only things that I learned from my food science class so here it is. There is a chemical reaction between the iron and sulfur in the egg. Here is the actual formula Fe^2+ (iron in yolk)+ SH (sulfur in albumen)=FeS or the black and gray part. This causes the greenish/gray ring around the yolk of the egg. The trick is to cook for a shorter amount of time and then cover with a lid. Most of this you really didn't know but you sound really cool if you tell your family or friends this ;)

Instructions:
Cover the eggs about an inch above with water. Bring it to a gentle boil. Let it gently boil for 5 minutes. Cover and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Then fill pan with cold water (can be ice old) and once it has cooled you can peel it. I have also heard to just bring to boil and take off immediately and let sit for 20 minutes. I am a little afraid they will be soft-boiled eggs and just haven't tried. They turn out the best color yellow!

I did this with my moms famous macaroni salad the other week and it looked so great!

Comments

  1. I usually bring it to a rolling boil, turn the heat to low & cover for 15 minutes. Immediately I put a bowl of water in the freezer & when the 15 minutes is up, I put the eggs in the water from the freezer for about 10 minutes. They crack really easy & are just the perfect amount of done, yellow & don't have a dry yolk either -they haven't turned out soft-boiled on me yet, but I had to do a few experiment batches to figure it out :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, ya I may have been doing that and didn't know it, I just cover them with water cover, get a boil, put the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, then cool them in cold water. They're not soft boiled and I usually just set the timer for the 15 minutes, easy thing for breakfast around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that Mindee I am going to try that now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts